The Falcon Tapes, Part IAs part of the Pleasanton Library's celebration of the National Endowment of the Arts Big Read program, I had the opportunity to interview Hammett expert--and personal hero--Joe Gores about The Maltese Falcon.
Click here to listen to an MP3 file (~8.5 MB) with the first portion of the interview. I apologize in advance for the poor quality of the recording, but if you soldier your way through it, you will be rewarded with Joe's opinions on the following topics related to The Maltese Falcon in particular and Hammett's work in general:
- The true nature of the relationship between Sam Spade and Bridget O’Shaughnessy
- Whether Spade knows from the beginning that O'Shaughnessy has killed Miles Archer
- What the Falcon is really about
- Spade's motivations
- Why Spade is an excellent PI
- Why Gores is too
- Whether Hammett intended Spade as a reflection of himself
- What Hammett was reaching for when he wrote Falcon
- The relationship between Effie Perine and Spade
- Gutman as a character and a villain
I hope you'll stick around for future installments. Next up, more about Gutman and his relationships with the other characters in the book.