The Falcon Tapes, Part IIIAs part of the Pleasanton Library's celebration of the National Endowment of the Arts Big Read program, I had the opportunity to interview Hammett expert--and personal hero--Joe Gores about The Maltese Falcon.
Click here to listen to the third and final MP3 file (~10 MB) from the interview. In it Joe answers all of my remaining questions and then fields some from the live audience. Here are the topics he covers:
- Lillian Hellman and her reaction to Joe's book Hammett and the movie that was made from it
- Exciting details about the prequel that Joe is writing to The Maltese Falcon
- The curious question of Spade having coffee in Bridget O’Shaughnessy's hotel room
- Miles Archer's character and why Spade hates him
- More on why the Falcon is such a seminal book
- Why The Thin Man is flawed
- What private eyes and writers have in common
- Joe's correspondence with James M. Cain
Don't miss it!